Thursday, March 18, 2010

Singing Time Spinner

"Follow the Prophet" is going really well. I have been visiting each class for (literally) 2 minutes each to go over their verse with them. The teachers are so funny when I come in and ask if I may take a couple minutes....they are more than happy to have someone "mix it up" a little for a break. I did combine the Sunbeams and 4 year olds for the 1st verse, and the 11 years I comined with the 10's. I did this because we will only have one 11 year old left by the time the Program runs around. This way each of the verses sound stronger.

That being said, I am planning a review game again this week. They had a great time last week and with so many songs up in the air right now (New Reverence, Jan & Feb Program, Article of Faith and Mother's Day) I am taking advantage of some "fun" time.

This Spin Game can be done a couple of ways. You can make a huge poster-sized spinner, Game Show style. So fun for the kids to all see and watch the spinner. I am choosing to use a game spinner (from Chutes & Ladders, but any game spinner would work) and paste the results on the board. This way I can keep bringing the game back with different fun ideas to do while singing. It keeps it a little more customizable for future use.

A child will spin and the correlating number on the board gives an action / game to do while we sing the song of their choice. If you are focusing in on certain songs, you can have them pick a song title out of a bag. Or you can also number the songs to go with a second spin.

I have included my numbered actions:
One - Sing While You TP your teacher (have the teacher stand up front while child "decorates" them)
Two- Sing Opera Style (sounds horrible, and drives me crazy....but the kids LOVE it & I get a lot of participation out of this one)
Three-Class Dance Off (have the entire class stand up front and showcase their moves)
Four- Follow the Leader (just like the song!)
Five-At the Dentist (open mouths BIG, just like when they go to the dentist. The Hygienist in me just came out:)
Six-While Standing Backwards (it's a tiny thing, but facing the back of the room is an "experiment" in sound for the children)

I hope it goes without saying to be watchful and sensitive to which songs you sing which way....use discretion to keep the Spirit in the room. That's the entire goal: keep kids enjoying Singing Time so they have more attention to feel the Spirit.



2 comments:

Jessica Bybee said...

Thank so much!!!! I am moving next week... so this will be perfect to have already to go. I appreciate your hard work and ideas!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad this was helpful! Yay! Oi Vey, moving is such an excursion! Good luck & I hope all goes well.